HomeHighlight of Mustang Tiji Festival Trek
- Maximum altitude 4300 m
- Participation in three days ancient Buddhist Tiji Festival.
- Trekking Grade: Moderate to Strenuous
- Explore the walled city of Lomanthang and surrounding areas.
- Visit Historical and ancient Chossar Cave.
- Visit Ghar Gumba (Monastery) built in 8th century.
- Colorful mud houses Buddhist monastery and breathtaking semi desert mountain views.
Tiji Festival Trek in Upper Mustang:
An ancient last religious Kingdom far away from the modern civilization where the life and its culture has its own slow pace; Upper Mustang lies on the north-west part of Nepal nearby Tibetan border. Upper Mustang is influenced by Tibetan religion, culture and languages and this place was an ancient trading route between Nepal and Tibet. A colorful and unique festival that is celebrated every year in Upper Mustang inside the walled city of Lo-Manthang called Tiji Festival. This festival is celebrated for three days on full moon just before the monsoon seasons starts; that symbolize the victory of good over evil or the ritual that locals called “Chasing of Demons”. Local of Mustang also called it called Tiji comes from the words ten che means “the hope of the Buddha dharma (religion) prevailing in all over the world,”
During three days of the Tenchi Festival the monk dresses in traditional colorful mask and dance and music following traditional rituals to wipe away the evil spirits. The festival is centered on the myth of the deity named Dorje Jono who fought against his demon father to save and secure the Kingdom of Mustang from drought and destruction. On this occasion, the monks dressed in a traditional manner and dance in a music that is believed to drive away the evil spirits. The festival is so colorful, mesmerizing and vibrant that the villagers and foreigners from different part of the world nowadays gathered in Lo-Manthang to observe and participate in the festivities and also contribute necessary items for it.
To attend Tiji Festival Trek, you need to travel through the barren Trans Himalayan landscape of Upper Mustang where you can enter getting special permit from Nepal Government. Passing through mountain valleys and canyons, walking with yak caravans, watching colorful-painted mud brick houses and ancient monasteries and at the same time on its backside mountain scenario of Nilgiri, Tukche, Annapurna and Dhaulagiri makes this trekking a very special one.
Tiji festival Trekking falls from 27th to 29th days of third month of Tibetan calendar (April/ late may of every year) and for the year 2019 it will be starting from 31 May 2019 to 2nd June 2019. This festival is organized by Chhyode Gumba, a monastery of ancient Shakyapa sects located in Lo-Manthang in Upper Mustang region.
Itinerary Details of Tiji Festival Trek:
Day 1: Arrival at Tribhuban International Airport and pick up you by our airport representative and transfer to the Hotel
Day 2: Full day guided tour of Kathmandu Valley and preparation of the trekking permit.
Day 3: Kathmandu To Pokhara by Tourist Bus or Flight. (200 KM 7 Hrs Drive or 25 minutes flight with fantastic views of the mountains. Explore Pokhara Lakeside area. Overnight in the Hotel in Pokhara.
Day 4: 6:30 am early flight from Pokhara to Jomsom (20 Min Flight). Trekking started to reach Kagbeni (3.5 hrs easy walking) Overnight at Kagbeni.
Day 5: Trek to Tsaile at 3500m, entry in the restricted area of Upper Mustang. Easy Trekking following Kaligandaki River for 6 hours. Ovenight at Tsaile in a guest house.
Day 6: Start your trek to Ghiling, one of the most difficult part of this trek but the splendid views of Nilgiri, Annapurna I, Thorang Peak at the pass of 3500 m and descend down to Ghiling village. 7 hours of walk and overnight in Ghiling.
Day 7: Leave Ghiling and start trek to to Tsarang. Climb up to Nyala pass with the views of beautiful mountains we descend down to the Ghami village. Explore ancient palace of Tsarang and 800+ years old red Tsarang monastery. Overnight at Tsarang.
Day 8: After Breakfast start walking towards to destination for three hours once forbidden walled city of Lo-Manthang. Explore beautiful Stupa and magnificent landscape of Upper Mustang.
Day 9: Explore Lo-Manthang area Choser cave and Garphu. Participate in Tiji Festival 1st day. Overnight in Lodge.
Day 10: Second day of Tiji Festival in Upper Mustang.
Day 11: Leave Lo Manthang passing by Dhrackmar and visit the monastery of Logekar finally arriving Ghemi village.
Day 12: Trek Back to Syangboche or Samar (Summer) one of the greenest beautiful village of Upper mustang (5 hrs trek).
Day 13: Trek to Tshhusang 6 hrs of Trek.
Day 14: Tshuksang to Jomsom village and overnight at lodge.
Day 15: Early fly back to Pokhara and relax in Pokhara.
Day 16: Back to Kathmandu and re-explore the remaining part of Kathmandu.
Day 17: Transfer to airport. Ending of the trekking trip.
Book your trip of Tiji Festival with us. This is the right time to book it.. The place are booked in advanced by the locals and foreigners to attend the festival. For furthermore details, do not hesitate to contact us. We Long Walk Adventures make a full arrangements of your trek.
Special Price for 2019 for May 31, 2019 to June 2, 2019
- Domestic flight, all Transport bus/car according to trek schedule.
- Trekking Permit, TIMS, ACAP Entry Fee, Special Permission to enter Upper Mustang Region.
- All accommodation 3 meals in Trekking (Breakfast, Lunch, dinner, and tea/coffee)
- Your Language speaking Trekking guide and English speaking porters
- ,Personal Insurance of our staffs, their salary, equipment’s, food, Lodge
- Medical Kits and Trekking bag,
- Twin share accommodation in Kathmandu on B&B basis.
- Accommodation in tea houses or in tents as per itinerary during the trek.
- Sightseeing in Kathmandu, entry fee while visiting World Heritage’s Site.
- Welcome Dinner in Kathmandu.
Cost Not Included
- Nepal visa fee,
- International Flight Ticket
- Rescue & travel insurance, trip cancellation costs, accident or health emergency, evacuation, loss, theft or damage to baggage and personal effects. We strongly advise you to take out personal travel
- Personal Expenses (Laundry, bar bills, bottle water, Phone calls, extra room, boiled water, battery charge, Cost of Hot Water in Upper Mustang Region)
- Tips and Gratitude’s.